Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Happy 10th Birthday, Emma!

My youngest daughter had her 10th birthday! She had a VERY busy weekend. We began celebrating by taking last Friday off school. As homeschoolers, we always take a day off in honor of a child's birthday. We went to Olive Garden and Barnes and Noble Friday afternoon, and Friday night, Emily had her best friend over to spend the night. They only live 2 houses away from each other, so we normally don't do overnights. The only problem we had was her friend goes to public school, and is used to getting up WAY earlier than us. And is quite chatty at 5:30 a.m. I made her blueberry muffins for breakfast, and Emily opened her presents later in the morning. This is the only picture I took of any of her birthday events:



She had more presents. The above picture is only what I got her. April bought her a box of 10 dolphin puzzles, and a light-sketcher thing from Crayola. Her best friend bought her a Barbie and a coloring book. Her step-dad gave her $10 and her favorite candies.

One of the things she asked for was a pair of roller skates. I wasn't able to get them, but Saturday afternoon Emma, her friend, and Colleen went to the skating rink. Overall they had fun, although some high school kids were being very mean to Emily in the beginning. She kept falling, because we only go skating about once a year. Instead of helping her, they laughed at her and made fun of her, and she began crying. Colleen, who is rarely nice to Emily herself, didn't like OTHER people being mean to her sister, and wanted to talk to the older kids directly. Emily didn't want her to, so they told they rink manager, who took care of it. Other than that, they all had fun skating, playing arcade games, and playing laser-tag, but both my daughters' legs were very sore the next day, and Emma also got 2 huge blisters and several new bruises for her birthday. : (

That night we went out to a local steakhouse for her birthday supper. Emma's favorite food is steak. We came home, and she had brownies, in lieu of cake. Not a single one of my children like cake. They all choose another dessert. With the exception of too little sleep, and too many skating falls, she had a good birthday.

I can't quite grasp that my little Emma is alreaady 10. It sure doesn't seem like a decade since I had my dark-haired little girl. Her personality has never wavered. Emily is my sensitive child, my art-loving, nature-loving, musical, theatrical girl, and she has the biggest, most loving heart of all my girls. I have never seen her NOT offer to share whatever she has. She is always there to jump in and help when needed. She will cry at the drop of a hat, whether from sadness or unfairness in her world, or joy at the beauty in life. She still isn't too big to cuddle on laps, or freely hug those she loves. She loves puns, loves math, and loves art, music, puzzles, animals, and nature. She's one of the smartest children I've ever seen, rarely needing to be told twice how to do anything. She's the one I hate to disappoint, but the one who it seems I am always short-changing, due to her thoughtful, giving nature. This little girl was a big surprise when I found out I was expecting her, but she is SUCH a wonderful gift from God, and I am so blessed to be her mom.

Emily, I love you with all my heart. You are a wonderful daughter! I am so thankful to have you in my life.




No comments: